Saturday 20 October 2012

DIY Map Hearts Picture

I first saw the idea for a maps picture in a catalogue (no idea which one), they were £35 and the maps were generic country maps. I thought I could probably make it which would mean the maps could be presonalised. It really was as easy as it looks!



I have made 4 now, two engagement gifts, one Christmas pressie and one wedding gift. It really is the perfect pressie for most ocassions!


If you want to make one this is how I do it:

You will need:
A deep frame ( I use the Ribba Ikea frame)
Photo Paper
Computer
Printer
Sticky foam pads (good quality ones, the cheap ones loose their stick....)
A large sheet of backing card ( I use 12x12 scrapbooking card in either silver or pearlescent white)


First you have to decide how many hearts you are going have. I have done one picture with one large heart and three with four hearts.

Then use Word (or similar) and insert a heart shape into a blank document. Make sure you make it the correct size for the frame you are using.

Go to google maps or your preferred map site and find the map you want, for this one I got a map of where each person was from, where they got together and where they went on honeymoon.

Copy the map , I always print screen, paste into a photo editing package and crop the map closer to the are I want in the heart.

Copy map into Word making sure it is set to be behind text then place the heart outline over the map.

Do this for each heart then print it out and cut out your hearts.


Cut the backing card to size then arrange the hearts as you want them then stick them on with the foam pads so they stick out a bit from the backing card.


Reassemble the frame and voila, you have a fantastic gift for someone!









Linking to some of these fab parties!

9 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Such a great idea to do with places close to your heart. Thanks for sharing the idea of how to put something like this together =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a rally good idea. thank you for sharing it with us
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great Alison!! I love this idea of maps on hearts!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful idea coming via tip toe through tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great creativity! I love the way it looks - found you at Tutorial Tuesday :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen these in shops and yours look just as good (if not better!) Really lovely idea.

    Hope you are well, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so craft and creative! One sifference between me and you: I'm not sure I've EVER seen a project like this in a store or oline and thought to myself, "I could make that!" :) ...what a great gift idea! Hope you have a great week, Alison!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun idea! great for families who are apart to do also. thanks for linking it up to tip-toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! I saw your link on Happy Hour Projects.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.