Sunday 14 October 2012

The Abbey Coat

Thank goodness it is done, what a long and torturous sewing journey....


I should say first though, what a brilliant pattern! I have never made a coat before but this pattern and instructions were so clear it should have been pretty easy.

My first, and main, problem was the wool blend material I bought, it frayed even if you breathed on it and if you dared try and unpick it (and I ended up doing a lot of it) it basically self destructed!

Then, after sewing the coat panels together I realised that the material was stretching crazily when it was sewn...

Then to make it all 100% worse my sewing machine died on me and I ended up using my Mum's machine which was horrendous, think it must actually be broken, and my top stitching ended up wiggly and I had to unpick it all (see problem above!!)


The coat is now done apart from the button holes (I have put large poppers on in the mean time) as I am not even attempting them until my machine with the button hole programme comes back!

Slightly wrinkly post car journey photo!



The back isn't really squint, must have been standing strangely!
It is far from perfect, there were lots of bits I had to restitch since the fabric was stretching and it doesn't lie right in places but, for a first attempt with the worlds worst material, I am happy!






Linking up to some of these fab linky parties!




15 comments:

  1. What a great looking coat, Alison. I love it, especially the flared bottom and the cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! You should be really pleased with yourself. Definitely an impressive first attempt =) The fabric you've used is just lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I never would have guessed you had such problems with it. Amazing, I'm sure you must be proud of yourself, and deservedly so!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well done you!! It's gorgeous, such a wonderful design and it looks perfectly sewn to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an awesome coat! If you had bought it, I bet it would have been REALLY expensive! It is a lovely fit too. Sorry you had trouble with the fabric. I had a similar problem last year and it drove me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great coat Alison! And it looks like it was well worth all the unpicking and machine changes!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison your coat looks fantastic. I love the style. You should be very proud of the result. Well done.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Well done Alison, it looks fabulous! Good for you persevering with it, totally well worth it!

    Have a great day, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's me again. I have just tagged you in a getting to know sort of game. Go to http://talesfromspringcottage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/Tagged. Hope you enjoy doing it.
    Carox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the jacket. It is so pretty. I'm sorry that you had such a hard time. I hate when that happens, but I may try this. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    www.adornedfromabove.com
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am in love with the rulffles at the bottom of that. it's sooo cute. the fabric has great texture too! thanks for linking this up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW i am so impressed right now that you made this. Im a very much a beginner in sewing and knitting so to see something as wonderful as this being made is inspirational. It is a fabulous coat!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come stop by and grab a featured button http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/10/your-whims-wednesday-82-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous! and just in time for winter! :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.