A rather sharp looking Banksia07:00
I have been looking longingly at the scout t-shirts all over sewing blogs, fab ones here and here, wishing I suited loose fitting t-shirts. I then remembered that I have the Banksia pattern which is similar but a little more fitted and have made it before with varying success.
The first time I made it it was too big. The next time I reduced the size and did a FBA and it was too tight over the back and loose over the front. The third time I increased the width of the back piece just a little and it was just right! It still looked a little tent like but not maternity so I decided some of my novelty print cotton was finally going to see the light of day.
I went with the method for fitting that worked before - cutting a medium and increasing the width of the back piece. I totally cheated by placing it 0.5 cm from the fold rather than on the fold, increasing the back width by 1cm, nothing complicated or technical but it works!
I did a few other tweaks:
- increased the width of the sleeves by about 1cm
- dropped the arm holes by about 1cm.
- widened the collar piece by the width of the placket as I was not having a placket and wanted the collar to meet at the front.
It worked and I am totally in love with the fabric, my parents bought in America a few years ago so no chance of any more though :(
I think the next Banksia will be placket and collarless, just to see what it looks like!