Tuesday 16 June 2015

A Summer Dress from an Old Sheet

Don't faint, this dress is less than 72 hours old and is appearing here! I have been planning a dress like this for over a year but after a failed attempt at bodice fitting last year I gave up for a while.

I bought the burda block patterns this time last year and made up the bodice. According to measurements I had to do a fairly large FBA, but, this made the bodice massive and I couldn't be bothered working out why! Since then I have lost a wee bit of weight so decided to try again. I made the top in the largest size (16?) and after a few tweaks it was almost perfect!


The pattern alterations I did:
  • lengthened the bodice by 2 inches
  • dropped the bust dart by 1 inch
  • moved waist darts towards center by 1 inch
  • added bust darts
  • lifted shoulder seam by 1 inch
  • reduced slope on shoulder
I then scooped out the back and front more to get the look I wanted.

That looks like a lot of adjustments when I write it all down! I made 3 muslins and for number 4 I cut into an old patterned flat sheet that I got for £1.49 from a charity shop. 



I had to line the dress as the sheet was quite thin, but I am so please with how it turned out!




I have absolutely no idea when I will wear the dress, husband thinks I need an invite to a vicar's tea party (!) but I am going to use the pattern to try another dress with a pleated skirt and one with a circle skirt. I have lots of party dress fabric in my stash that my parent's have bought me and finally some of it will get used. If only I went to parties...!









9 comments:

  1. This looks great on you, good work on persevering with the fit, and now you can make loads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, and it fits you so well! It just goes to show that fitting is worthwhile, even if it seems like a headache!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that is a lot of work, but it has paid off! Looks like a great fitting dress! I love that print, would look great with a denim jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, totally worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wish summer would arrive so I can wear it!!

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of adjustments but looks like it's worked out well and the dress is lovely. Love the fabric.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of adjustments but looks like it's worked out well and the dress is lovely. Love the fabric.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. You did a great job and I would be wearing that nonstop!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.